Cassandra Graphical Modeling

uncle mantis
What do you all use for this? I am currently using MySQL Workbench for my SQL projects.

PowerPoint? Visio? Gimp? Pencil and Paper?

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Michael

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Jonathan Shook
+1 for Inkscape/SVG

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM, uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What do you all use for this? I am currently using MySQL Workbench for my
> SQL projects.
>
> PowerPoint? Visio? Gimp? Pencil and Paper?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Jesse McConnell-2
+1 for graphviz (if you like text files)

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 13:10, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for Inkscape/SVG
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM, uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What do you all use for this? I am currently using MySQL Workbench for my
>> SQL projects.
>>
>> PowerPoint? Visio? Gimp? Pencil and Paper?
>>
>> Thanks for the help!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

uncle mantis
I am giving PowerPoint's SmartArt's Table Hierarchy a try. Not too bad but I would like to get something more along the lines of this example http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70

Regards,

Michael

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Jesse McConnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for graphviz (if you like text files)

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
[hidden email]

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 13:10, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for Inkscape/SVG
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM, uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What do you all use for this? I am currently using MySQL Workbench for my
>> SQL projects.
>>
>> PowerPoint? Visio? Gimp? Pencil and Paper?
>>
>> Thanks for the help!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Chaker Nakhli
Hi all,

The example given by uncle Mantis was made using Adobe Illustrator.

Cheers,
--Chaker

uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I am giving PowerPoint's SmartArt's Table Hierarchy a try. Not too bad but I
>would like to get something more along the lines of this example
>http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70
>
>Regards,
>
>Michael
>

>On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Jesse McConnell
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1 for graphviz (if you like text files)
>>
>> jesse
>>
>> --
>> jesse mcconnell
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 13:10, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > +1 for Inkscape/SVG

>> my

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

uncle mantis
Thank you sir! Fantastic article BTW!

It would be nice to have something draw the models like this automatically based on a schema.

I am currently using PowerPoint's Table hierarchy and using tabs for each display row and just a line feed for a new column. It works pretty good!

Again, thank you Chaker!

Regards,

Michael

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Chaker Nakhli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

The example given by uncle Mantis was made using Adobe Illustrator.

Cheers,
--Chaker

uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I am giving PowerPoint's SmartArt's Table Hierarchy a try. Not too bad but I
>would like to get something more along the lines of this example
>http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70
>
>Regards,
>
>Michael
>

>On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Jesse McConnell
><[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1 for graphviz (if you like text files)
>>
>> jesse
>>
>> --
>> jesse mcconnell
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 13:10, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > +1 for Inkscape/SVG

>> my

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Jonathan Shook
I'm not trying to push Inkscape, but this may be helpful. I use it and
graphviz, depending on the circumstances.

If you create a basic template in Inkscape, you can use it to compose
structural views of things by rendering the XML/SVG from a model. It's
not a feature, per se, but just a way to take advantage of it's format
and command-line rendering capabilities.

It's been awhile since I've done it, but even basic things like
transforms are available. You can then invoke Inkscape in render-only
mode to produce different raster formats.  It's not as smart as
GraphViz for large layouts, but the finished product is more
customizable for smaller ones.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:41 PM, uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you sir! Fantastic article BTW!
>
> It would be nice to have something draw the models like this automatically
> based on a schema.
>
> I am currently using PowerPoint's Table hierarchy and using tabs for each
> display row and just a line feed for a new column. It works pretty good!
>
> Again, thank you Chaker!
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Chaker Nakhli
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The example given by uncle Mantis was made using Adobe Illustrator.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Chaker
>>
>> uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> >I am giving PowerPoint's SmartArt's Table Hierarchy a try. Not too bad
>> > but I
>> >would like to get something more along the lines of this example
>> >http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Michael

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

uncle mantis
Johnathan. I will give it a shot. At first glance it really did not look like much at all so I passed it up. I will give it a try now. Thanks!

I love the Cassandra community. I hang out mostly in IRC and this is my first real post on the mailing list and the response time is surprisingly rapid! Thanks!

Regards,

Michael

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not trying to push Inkscape, but this may be helpful. I use it and
graphviz, depending on the circumstances.

If you create a basic template in Inkscape, you can use it to compose
structural views of things by rendering the XML/SVG from a model. It's
not a feature, per se, but just a way to take advantage of it's format
and command-line rendering capabilities.

It's been awhile since I've done it, but even basic things like
transforms are available. You can then invoke Inkscape in render-only
mode to produce different raster formats.  It's not as smart as
GraphViz for large layouts, but the finished product is more
customizable for smaller ones.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:41 PM, uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you sir! Fantastic article BTW!
>
> It would be nice to have something draw the models like this automatically
> based on a schema.
>
> I am currently using PowerPoint's Table hierarchy and using tabs for each
> display row and just a line feed for a new column. It works pretty good!
>
> Again, thank you Chaker!
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Chaker Nakhli
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The example given by uncle Mantis was made using Adobe Illustrator.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Chaker
>>
>> uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> >I am giving PowerPoint's SmartArt's Table Hierarchy a try. Not too bad
>> > but I
>> >would like to get something more along the lines of this example
>> >http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Michael

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Chaker Nakhli
I'm glad you appreciated the article Michael. Thank you for the PP hint.

--
Chaker

uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thank you sir! Fantastic article BTW!
>
>It would be nice to have something draw the models like this automatically
>based on a schema.
>
>I am currently using PowerPoint's Table hierarchy and using tabs for each
>display row and just a line feed for a new column. It works pretty good!
>
>Again, thank you Chaker!
>
>Regards,
>
>Michael
>

>On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Chaker Nakhli <
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The example given by uncle Mantis was made using Adobe Illustrator.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Chaker
>>
>> uncle mantis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> >I am giving PowerPoint's SmartArt's Table Hierarchy a try. Not too bad but
>> >would like to get something more along the lines of this example
>> >http://www.javageneration.com/?p=70
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >
>> >Michael

>> for

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Ashwin Jayaprakash
YEd (http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html) is a pretty good tool. No setup required, free, very versatile and good for drawing graphs quickly.

Re: Cassandra Graphical Modeling

Jonathan Shook
As long as you only want to edit YEd files and print them, it's great.
Anything else to do with it is proprietary and expensive (for me, at
least).