Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Ertio Lew
Hey,

If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
there are several clients available out there according to the
language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
most required features for performance).

Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.

Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?

Thanks
Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Ran Tavory

I use Hector,  if that counts. ..

On Jan 14, 2011 7:25 PM, "Ertio Lew" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
> is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
> there are several clients available out there according to the
> language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
> widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
> most required features for performance).
>
> Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.
>
> Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?
>
> Thanks
> Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Ertio Lew
what is the technology stack do you use?

On 1/14/11, Ran Tavory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use Hector,  if that counts. ..
> On Jan 14, 2011 7:25 PM, "Ertio Lew" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
>> is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
>> there are several clients available out there according to the
>> language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
>> widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
>> most required features for performance).
>>
>> Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.
>>
>> Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Ran Tavory

Java

On Jan 14, 2011 8:25 PM, "Ertio Lew" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what is the technology stack do you use?
>
> On 1/14/11, Ran Tavory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use Hector, if that counts. ..
>> On Jan 14, 2011 7:25 PM, "Ertio Lew" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
>>> is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
>>> there are several clients available out there according to the
>>> language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
>>> widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
>>> most required features for performance).
>>>
>>> Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Victor Kabdebon
Same here Hector + java

Best Regards,
Victor K

2011/1/14 Ran Tavory <[hidden email]>

Java

On Jan 14, 2011 8:25 PM, "Ertio Lew" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> what is the technology stack do you use?
>
> On 1/14/11, Ran Tavory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I use Hector, if that counts. ..
>> On Jan 14, 2011 7:25 PM, "Ertio Lew" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
>>> is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
>>> there are several clients available out there according to the
>>> language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
>>> widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
>>> most required features for performance).
>>>
>>> Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Mike Wynholds
We have one in production with Ruby / fauna Cassandra gem and Cassandra 0.6.x.  The project is live but is stuck in a sort of private beta, so it hasn't really been run through any load scenarios.

..mike..

--
Michael Wynholds | Carbon Five | 310.821.7125 x13 | [hidden email]

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Ertio Lew <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
there are several clients available out there according to the
language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
most required features for performance).

Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.

Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?

Thanks
Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Dan Kuebrich
We've done hundreds of gigs in and out of cassandra 0.6.8 with pycassa 0.3.  Working on upgrading to 0.7 and pycassa 1.03.

I don't know if we're using it wrong, but the "connection object is tied to a particular keyspace" constraint isn't that awesome--we have a number of keyspaces used simultaneously.  Haven't looked into it yet.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Mike Wynholds <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Lundin
python + pycassa
scala + Hector

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Ertio Lew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
> is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
> there are several clients available out there according to the
> language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
> widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
> most required features for performance).
>
> Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.
>
> Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?
>
> Thanks
> Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Dave Viner-2
Perl using the thrift interface directly.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Daniel Lundin <[hidden email]> wrote:
python + pycassa
scala + Hector

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Ertio Lew <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
> is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
> there are several clients available out there according to the
> language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
> widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
> most required features for performance).
>
> Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.
>
> Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?
>
> Thanks
> Ertio

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Dave Gardner
We use PHP and Thrift directly (although this is wrapped in code that
is basically our own bespoke client).

Dave

--
*Dave Gardner*
Technical Architect

[image: imagini_58mmX15mm.png]   [image: VisualDNA-Logo-small.png]

*Imagini Europe Limited*
7 Moor Street, London W1D 5NB

[image: phone_icon.png] +44 20 7734 7033
[image: skype_icon.png] daveg79
[image: emailIcon.png] [hidden email]
[image: icon-web.png] http://www.visualdna.com

Imagini Europe Limited, Company number 5565112 (England
and Wales), Registered address: c/o Bird & Bird,
90 Fetter Lane, London, EC4A 1EQ, United Kingdom

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Jools Enticknap
Ironically, we started with an Thrift based application stack which used Mysql as it's backend storage. At some point I was introduced to Cassandra, and after a very short time we implemented it as our backend storage mechanism.

The first version of our application used the Cassandra thrift client directly, which was fine if a little muddled. We tried all the other clients be failed to see any improvement over the Cassandra Thrift client. Until the latest version of Hector was released, which we have now started to use. We've been very impressed with it, and it's currently in our production environment.

In terms of bindings in use for cassandra, we use java, cocoa and php. All of which work fine.

We have had to write our own framed transport for cocoa (which was very simple) so we can use our cassandra management tool (Palladium) which is written using cocoa. (BTW we will be providing Palladium as a free download in the next few months).

The key thing to note, is because there are so many bindings for Cassandra you can pick the technology which suites your requirements, and not be shoe horned into using something which 'kinda' works.

--Jools

On 14 January 2011 17:24, Ertio Lew <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

If you have a site in production environment or considering so, what
is the client that you use to interact with Cassandra. I know that
there are several clients available out there according to the
language you use but I would love to know what clients are being used
widely in production environments and are best to work with(support
most required features for performance).

Also preferably tell about the technology stack for your applications.

Any suggestions, comments appreciated ?

Thanks
Ertio

RE: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Viktor Jevdokimov
- Cassandra 0.7 beta1 on virtual Windows Server 2008 64bit machines (8 total).
- In-house built C# client for .NET app connecting using Thrift, was worth it to built own client.
- 150M transactions/day load and growing.

Best regards/ Pagarbiai

Viktor Jevdokimov
Senior Developer

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: +370 5 212 3063
Fax: +370 5 261 0453

Konstitucijos pr. 23,
LT-08105 Vilnius,
Lithuania

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Colin Vipurs
Java + Pelops

--
Maybe she awoke to see the roommate's boyfriend swinging from the
chandelier wearing a boar's head.

Something which you, I, and everyone else would call "Tuesday", of course.

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Jean-Yves
Java + Pelops
Cassandra 0.6.8

Re: Do you have a site in production environment with Cassandra? What client do you use?

Jonathan Shook
clients:
 Java and MVEL + Hector
 Perl + thrift

Usage: high-traffic monitoring harness with dynamic mapping and
Cassandra was part of the "do more with less hardware" approach to
designing this system.