Got Logo?

Sal Fuentes
Just out of curiosity, what's the status of Cassandra having an official logo/mascot? I understand this is perhaps not a high-priority issue right now, but again I'm curious where this stands. Has it been previously discussed or is the project taking ideas/suggestions?

Salvador Fuentes Jr.

Re: Got Logo?

Michael Greene
It has been discussed and there are several proposals on http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-231
I personally like a few of them.  We're still looking for some direction or perhaps a vote -- chime in if you're interested.

Michael

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Sal Fuentes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what's the status of Cassandra having an official logo/mascot? I understand this is perhaps not a high-priority issue right now, but again I'm curious where this stands. Has it been previously discussed or is the project taking ideas/suggestions?

--
Salvador Fuentes Jr.

dpp

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Re: Got Logo?

Eric Evans-4
On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 17:10 -0700, David Pollak wrote:
> For Lift, we ran a contest on 99designs.com  It worked out well for
> us.

Out of curiosity, how did you go about this? From a quick look at the
site it seems that you offer a bounty to the winning design. Is that
right, did you put up a bounty? If so, how much?

--
Eric Evans
[hidden email]

dpp

Re: Got Logo?

dpp

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Eric Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 17:10 -0700, David Pollak wrote:
> For Lift, we ran a contest on 99designs.com  It worked out well for
> us.

Out of curiosity, how did you go about this? From a quick look at the
site it seems that you offer a bounty to the winning design. Is that
right, did you put up a bounty? If so, how much?

We collected money from the community and put up a $500 bounty.

I'll be happy to kick in $50 towards a 99Designs bounty for a Cassandra logo

--
Eric Evans

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Re: Got Logo?

Matt Revelle-2
Slightly off-topic, but many graphic designers have great disdain for
99designs.  It roughly translates to the TopCoder site, which allows
programmers to take on jobs, submit work, and then maybe get paid if
their submission is accepted.  Except, with 99designs, any logos
produced are available for all to see and copyright infringement ensues.

I was all about 99designs, until I started thinking about what sort of
marketplace it is.

There's more info here: http://www.no-spec.com/

On Sep 17, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Eric Evans wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 17:10 -0700, David Pollak wrote:
>> For Lift, we ran a contest on 99designs.com  It worked out well for
>> us.
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you go about this? From a quick look at the
> site it seems that you offer a bounty to the winning design. Is that
> right, did you put up a bounty? If so, how much?
>
> --
> Eric Evans

Re: Got Logo?

Joe Stump

On Sep 17, 2009, at 11:34 AM, David Pollak wrote:

> We collected money from the community and put up a $500 bounty.

$500 is dangerously close to what a good logo designer charges
(dache.ch, for instance, charges $800). Just throwing that out there.

> I'll be happy to kick in $50 towards a 99Designs bounty for a
> Cassandra logo

Me too!

--Joe

Re: Got Logo?

Bill de hÓra
David Pollak wrote:

> I'll be happy to kick in $50 towards a 99Designs bounty for a Cassandra logo

Likewise.

Bill

Re: Got Logo?

Matt Kydd
I think the one up on the site by Makram Saleh is really quite good -
just needs a polish.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-231

MK

2009/9/19 Bill de hOra <[hidden email]>:
> David Pollak wrote:
>
>> I'll be happy to kick in $50 towards a 99Designs bounty for a Cassandra
>> logo
>
> Likewise.
>
> Bill

Re: Got Logo?

Ian Holsman-3
Let's go with what we have.
We can get it fixed later
Usually groups run competitions and get professional looking logos then
No need to pay money

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Got Logo?

Curt Micol
Changing my vote to this:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12420126/unstacked-pair.png

Classy, poignant and pretty slick looking.

# Curt Micol

Re: Got Logo?

Eric Evans-4

I've watched http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-231 evolve
and can't see anything approaching consensus. I can think of two reasons
for this, 1) it is subjective and tastes vary, and 2) there aren't any
logos that strike a chord in the community. I'm betting that in fact
it's a bit of both, so...

I propose we widen the field a bit and run a contest on 99designs.com. I
am volunteering to setup and administer the contest, and Rackspace has
graciously offered to front the cost.

Once we've widened the field a bit, I propose we call a vote, but
instead of the typical show of +1s, we use the condorcet method
instead.

The condorcet voting system is ideal for this sort of thing because it
takes all of your preferences into account, not just the choice you
prefer most. Condorcet is good at finding the best compromise; it's
possible to have a winner that is no ones first choice, but is the least
disagreeable to the majority. Wikipedia has a decent page on condorcet
voting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method), and there is at
least one online application that we could use
(http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html).

What does everyone think?

--
Eric Evans