Quantcast

Impact of removing compactions_in_progress folder

Impact of removing compactions_in_progress folder

Anuj
Often we face errors on Cassandra start regarding unfinished compactions particularly when cassandra was abrupty shut down . Problem gets resolved when we delete /var/lib/cassandra/data/system/compactions_in_progress folder. Does deletion of the folder has any impact on  integrity of data or any other aspect?

Thanks
Anuj Wadehra

Re: Impact of removing compactions_in_progress folder

Anuj
Any comments on exceptions related to unfinished compactions on Cassandra start up? Best way to deal with them? Side effects of deleting compactions_in_progress folder to resolve the issue?

Thanks
Anuj Wadehra

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Anuj Wadehra" <[hidden email]>
Date:Mon, 13 Apr, 2015 at 12:32 am
Subject:Impact of removing compactions_in_progress folder

Thanks
Anuj Wadehra

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Anuj Wadehra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Often we face errors on Cassandra start regarding unfinished compactions particularly when cassandra was abrupty shut down . Problem gets resolved when we delete /var/lib/cassandra/data/system/compactions_in_progress folder. Does deletion of the folder has any impact on  integrity of data or any other aspect?

While I have no specific knowledge about this case, it is difficult to imagine how canceling a compaction could have any meaningful negative effect other than the normal penalty one pays for uncompacted data.

"nodetool stop" can also cancel compactions, probably by approximately the same mechanism as removing an in-progress-compactions file.

However if you can reproduce this reliably, you should :

1) file a ticket on http://issues.apache.org
2) respond to this mail letting the list know the JIRA # of the ticket