Java cient

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्

What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most mature/feature complete?
Noble

Re: Java cient

sharanabasava raddi
I think its Hector...................

2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>

What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most mature/feature complete?
Noble

Re: Java cient

Daniel Lundin
Hector is excellent.

https://github.com/rantav/hector
http://www.datastax.com/sites/default/files/hector-v2-client-doc.pdf

2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
> What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most
> mature/feature complete?
> Noble

Re: Java cient

aaron morton
Hector

On 18/01/2011, at 11:48 PM, Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्<[hidden email]> wrote:

What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most mature/feature complete?
Noble

Re: Java cient

Jools Enticknap

We moved over to Hector when we went to Cassandra 0.7, it was a painless and worthwhile experience.

What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most mature/feature complete?

--Jools

Re: Java cient

Alois Bělaška
Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops

2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>

What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most mature/feature complete?
Noble

Re: Java cient

Jason Pell
Pelops is a nice lib.  I found it very easy to use and the developers
are very responsive to requests for information and/or bugs, etc.
I have not tried hector

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Alois Bělaška <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops
>
> 2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
>>
>> What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most
>> mature/feature complete?
>> Noble

Re: Java cient

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्

Thanks everyone. I guess, I should go with hector

On 18 Jan 2011 17:41, "Alois Bělaška" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops
>
> 2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
>
>> What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most
>> mature/feature complete?
>> Noble

Re: Java cient

Jonathan Shook
Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
.7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
Hector changes.

I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

2011/1/19 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks everyone. I guess, I should go with hector
>
> On 18 Jan 2011 17:41, "Alois Bělaška" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops
>>
>> 2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most
>>> mature/feature complete?
>>> Noble

Re: Java cient

Nate McCall
The last set of API breakages we introduced in Hector were done with
the intention of completely encapsulating Thrift. It was not a
decision we made lightly as we knew it would kneecap a lot of people
on their upgrade attempts.

However, swallowing this bitter pill when we did has allowed us to
offer a stable, type-safe and protocol abstacted API while keeping
pace with cassandra and completely refactoring our internals.

As with any open source project, there are still some warts but we
have an active community with a lot of mail list traffic,
documentation and examples. Further, the most recent release of Hector
is available on Maven Central
(http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/me/prettyprint/) and can thus be added
to any maven project (or ant project using the right plugins) with
very minimal configuration.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
> .7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
> Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
> probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
> conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
> then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
> the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
> Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
> Hector changes.
>
> I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
> interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
> in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
> branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
> at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
> clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.
>

> 2011/1/19 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks everyone. I guess, I should go with hector
>>
>> On 18 Jan 2011 17:41, "Alois Bělaška" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops

Re: Java cient

Dan Retzlaff
My team switched our production stack from Hector to Pelops a while back, based largely on this admittedly subjective "programmer experience" bit. I've found Pelops' code and abstractions significantly easier to follow and integrate with, plus Pelops has had feature-parity with Hector for all of our use cases. It's quite possible that we just caught Hector during its transition to what Nate calls "v2" but for our part, with no disrespect to the Hector community intended, we've been quite happy with the transition.

Dan

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
.7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
Hector changes.

I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

2011/1/19 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks everyone. I guess, I should go with hector
>
> On 18 Jan 2011 17:41, "Alois Bělaška" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops
>>
>> 2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most
>>> mature/feature complete?
>>> Noble

Re: Java cient

Dan Washusen
Pelops is pretty thin wrapper for the Thrift API.  It's thinness has both up and down sides; on the up side it's very easy to map functionality mentioned on the Cassandra API wiki page to functionality provided by Pelops, it is also relatively simple to add features (thanks to Alois^^ for indexing support).  The down side is you often have to deal with the Cassandra Thrift classes like ColumnOrSuperColumn...

On 20 January 2011 15:58, Dan Retzlaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
My team switched our production stack from Hector to Pelops a while back, based largely on this admittedly subjective "programmer experience" bit. I've found Pelops' code and abstractions significantly easier to follow and integrate with, plus Pelops has had feature-parity with Hector for all of our use cases. It's quite possible that we just caught Hector during its transition to what Nate calls "v2" but for our part, with no disrespect to the Hector community intended, we've been quite happy with the transition.

Dan

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
.7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
Hector changes.

I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

2011/1/19 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks everyone. I guess, I should go with hector
>
> On 18 Jan 2011 17:41, "Alois Bělaška" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Definitelly Pelops https://github.com/s7/scale7-pelops
>>
>> 2011/1/18 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> What is the most commonly used java client library? Which is the the most
>>> mature/feature complete?
>>> Noble

Re: Java cient

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
I looked at pelops and found the API clean, but didn't like the spring
dependency. Hector API's could have been simpler but I plan to
abstract the most commonly used functionality in a simpler set of APIs

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Dan Washusen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pelops is pretty thin wrapper for the Thrift API.  It's thinness has both up
> and down sides; on the up side it's very easy to map functionality mentioned
> on the Cassandra API wiki page to functionality provided by Pelops, it is
> also relatively simple to add features (thanks to Alois^^ for indexing
> support).  The down side is you often have to deal with the Cassandra Thrift
> classes like ColumnOrSuperColumn...
> On 20 January 2011 15:58, Dan Retzlaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My team switched our production stack from Hector to Pelops a while back,
>> based largely on this admittedly subjective "programmer experience" bit.
>> I've found Pelops' code and abstractions significantly easier to follow and
>> integrate with, plus Pelops has had feature-parity with Hector for all of
>> our use cases. It's quite possible that we just caught Hector during its
>> transition to what Nate calls "v2" but for our part, with no disrespect to
>> the Hector community intended, we've been quite happy with the transition.
>> Dan
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
>>> .7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
>>> Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
>>> probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
>>> conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
>>> then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
>>> the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
>>> Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
>>> Hector changes.
>>>
>>> I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
>>> interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
>>> in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
>>> branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
>>> at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
>>> clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com

Re: Java cient

Alois Bělaška
Agree about the Spring dependency. Cleaner solution is to extract Spring support into separate module. It may be the next thing to do.

2011/1/22 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
I looked at pelops and found the API clean, but didn't like the spring
dependency. Hector API's could have been simpler but I plan to
abstract the most commonly used functionality in a simpler set of APIs

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Dan Washusen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pelops is pretty thin wrapper for the Thrift API.  It's thinness has both up
> and down sides; on the up side it's very easy to map functionality mentioned
> on the Cassandra API wiki page to functionality provided by Pelops, it is
> also relatively simple to add features (thanks to Alois^^ for indexing
> support).  The down side is you often have to deal with the Cassandra Thrift
> classes like ColumnOrSuperColumn...
> On 20 January 2011 15:58, Dan Retzlaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My team switched our production stack from Hector to Pelops a while back,
>> based largely on this admittedly subjective "programmer experience" bit.
>> I've found Pelops' code and abstractions significantly easier to follow and
>> integrate with, plus Pelops has had feature-parity with Hector for all of
>> our use cases. It's quite possible that we just caught Hector during its
>> transition to what Nate calls "v2" but for our part, with no disrespect to
>> the Hector community intended, we've been quite happy with the transition.
>> Dan
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
>>> .7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
>>> Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
>>> probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
>>> conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
>>> then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
>>> the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
>>> Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
>>> Hector changes.
>>>
>>> I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
>>> interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
>>> in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
>>> branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
>>> at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
>>> clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com

Re: Java cient

Dan Washusen
Thanks for the feedback...  The Spring dependency is marked as optional and will only be included as a dependency if you explicitly add it to your project.  You only need to include it in your project if you want to use the Spring specific classes in the org.scale7.cassandra.pelops.spring package (seems a bit excessive to create a separate module for one class IMO)...

2011/1/23 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>
I looked at pelops and found the API clean, but didn't like the spring
dependency. Hector API's could have been simpler but I plan to
abstract the most commonly used functionality in a simpler set of APIs

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Dan Washusen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pelops is pretty thin wrapper for the Thrift API.  It's thinness has both up
> and down sides; on the up side it's very easy to map functionality mentioned
> on the Cassandra API wiki page to functionality provided by Pelops, it is
> also relatively simple to add features (thanks to Alois^^ for indexing
> support).  The down side is you often have to deal with the Cassandra Thrift
> classes like ColumnOrSuperColumn...
> On 20 January 2011 15:58, Dan Retzlaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My team switched our production stack from Hector to Pelops a while back,
>> based largely on this admittedly subjective "programmer experience" bit.
>> I've found Pelops' code and abstractions significantly easier to follow and
>> integrate with, plus Pelops has had feature-parity with Hector for all of
>> our use cases. It's quite possible that we just caught Hector during its
>> transition to what Nate calls "v2" but for our part, with no disrespect to
>> the Hector community intended, we've been quite happy with the transition.
>> Dan
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
>>> .7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
>>> Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
>>> probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
>>> conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
>>> then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
>>> the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
>>> Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
>>> Hector changes.
>>>
>>> I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
>>> interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
>>> in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
>>> branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
>>> at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
>>> clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com

Re: Java cient

Alois Bělaška
Oops i missed that optional flags. Than everything looks fine.

2011/1/22 Dan Washusen <[hidden email]>
Thanks for the feedback...  The Spring dependency is marked as optional and will only be included as a dependency if you explicitly add it to your project.  You only need to include it in your project if you want to use the Spring specific classes in the org.scale7.cassandra.pelops.spring package (seems a bit excessive to create a separate module for one class IMO)...

2011/1/23 Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <[hidden email]>

I looked at pelops and found the API clean, but didn't like the spring
dependency. Hector API's could have been simpler but I plan to
abstract the most commonly used functionality in a simpler set of APIs

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Dan Washusen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pelops is pretty thin wrapper for the Thrift API.  It's thinness has both up
> and down sides; on the up side it's very easy to map functionality mentioned
> on the Cassandra API wiki page to functionality provided by Pelops, it is
> also relatively simple to add features (thanks to Alois^^ for indexing
> support).  The down side is you often have to deal with the Cassandra Thrift
> classes like ColumnOrSuperColumn...
> On 20 January 2011 15:58, Dan Retzlaff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My team switched our production stack from Hector to Pelops a while back,
>> based largely on this admittedly subjective "programmer experience" bit.
>> I've found Pelops' code and abstractions significantly easier to follow and
>> integrate with, plus Pelops has had feature-parity with Hector for all of
>> our use cases. It's quite possible that we just caught Hector during its
>> transition to what Nate calls "v2" but for our part, with no disrespect to
>> the Hector community intended, we've been quite happy with the transition.
>> Dan
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Shook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps. I use hector. I have an bit of rework to do moving from .6 to
>>> .7. This is something I wasn't anticipating in my earlier planning.
>>> Had Pelops been around when I started using Hector, I would have
>>> probably chosen it over Hector. The Pelops client seemed to be better
>>> conceived as far as programmer experience and simplicity went. Since
>>> then, Hector has had a "v2" upgrade to their API which breaks much of
>>> the things that you would have done in version .6 and before.
>>> Conceptually speaking, they appear more similar now than before the
>>> Hector changes.
>>>
>>> I'm dreading having to do a significant amount of work on my client
>>> interface because of the incompatible API changes.. but I will have to
>>> in order to get my client/server caught up to the currently supported
>>> branch. That is just part of the cost of doing business with Cassandra
>>> at the moment. Hopefully after "1.0" on the server and some of the
>>> clients, this type of thing will be more unusual.

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com

Re: Java cient

Nate McCall
We are always looking for recommendations on API usage as well.

If helpful, there is a PDF document available on Hector:
http://www.datastax.com/sites/default/files/hector-v2-client-doc.pdf

As well as an example twitter clone example web app using Hector and Wicket:
https://github.com/riptano/twissjava

And very simple stand-alone examples:
https://github.com/zznate/hector-examples