Quantcast

Offline Compaction and Token Splitting

Jeff Ferland
I have an ideal for backups in my mind with Cassandra to dump each columnfamily to a directory and use an offline process to compact them all into one sstable (or max sstable size set). I have an ideal for restoration which involves a streaming read an sstable set and output based on whether the data fits within a token range. The result of this is that I can store a single copy of data that is effectively already repaired and can read from the specific range that covers a node that I wish to restore. My first look at this was somewhat frustrated by sstable code in the current versions have a strong reliance on the system keyspace.

Does anybody have any thoughts in regards to other things that might exist and fulfill this (particularly offline collective compaction), have a desire for such tools, or have any useful information for me before I attempt to build such beasts?

-Jeff

Re: Offline Compaction and Token Splitting

Robert Coli-3
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Jeff Ferland <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anybody have any thoughts in regards to other things that might exist and fulfill this (particularly offline collective compaction), have a desire for such tools, or have any useful information for me before I attempt to build such beasts?

Were I doing this, I'd :

1) probably just run an embedded cassandra cluster-of-one node and use that to compact
2) look at the code of offline scrub and/or sstablesplit tools