PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Anishek Agarwal
Hello,

As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP driver for cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is there some release candidate that people have used or any way to get this working with PHP ?

Thanks
Anishek

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Tim Dunphy
We've used the McFrazier PHP client in our project. Works well!

http://blog.robert.mcfrazier.com/getting-started-php-binary-cql-client/

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 10, 2015, at 8:47 AM, Anishek Agarwal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP driver for cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is there some release candidate that people have used or any way to get this working with PHP ?
>
> Thanks
> Anishek

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Michael Dykman
Somewhat over a year ago, I set out to address the exact same issue for our high-traffic PHP site.  After several failed attempts, I tried to wrap the C++ driver (as it was then) in extern "C" wrappers before I gave up when I realized the driver was pre-alpha.  The current implementation provides C bindings out of the box but it relative immaturity still makes it look like too much of a risk.

Ultimately, we set up a web service (json in/json out) written in Java which uses the datastax Java driver to accommodate our PHP's cassandra needs.  An arbitrary number of parameterized queries can be passed to the service which runs those queries in parallel and the result is both reliable and very fast.  I don't think it would be easy (or even possible) for a PHP implementation to take advantage of the async interface which is where most of the performance gain is to be had.

--
 - michael dykman
 - [hidden email]

 May the Source be with you.

We did exactly the same thing using Node.js.  Built a simple Express app with the Datastax Node.js driver that allows us to send a CQL query (or batch) with JSON and return the results.  Being that it's a small/efficient app we can load it on the same machine that PHP is running on and get the benefits of the cluster aware topology that the driver implements (aka free load balancing to the db).

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Alex Popescu-2
What Cassandra version are you using? How soon will you need a production ready PHP driver?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Anishek Agarwal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP driver for cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is there some release candidate that people have used or any way to get this working with PHP ?

Thanks
Anishek

--
Bests,

Alex Popescu | @al3xandru
Sen. Product Manager @ DataStax

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Anishek Agarwal <[hidden email]> wrote:
As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP driver for cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is there some release candidate that people have used or any way to get this working with PHP ?

You should use the Datastax one. It is the only maintained PHP driver and will shortly be the defacto standard.

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Robert Coli-3
On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Robert Coli <[hidden email]> wrote:
You should use the Datastax one. It is the only maintained* PHP driver and will shortly be the defacto standard.

* CQL client maintained by an organization, not by a single individual.

Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13

Anishek Agarwal
Hey Alex,

We are planning on using Cassandra 2.0.13 and looks like it will take us a month to go production. Since the team that needs PHP is only going to read, if we dont think there is to much integration testing or otherwise we need to do with PHP driver so if we get a PHP production driver in 3 weeks, i think we should be fine, though i still have to discuss this with the other team, they might not be willing to wait so long.

thanks