State of Cassandra and Java 7

Drew Kutcharian
Hey Guys,

With Java 6 begin EOL-ed soon (https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for), what's the status of Cassandra's Java 7 support? Anyone using it in production? Any outstanding *known* issues?

-- Drew

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Michael Kjellman
Works just fine for us.

On 12/13/12 11:43 AM, "Drew Kutcharian" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hey Guys,
>
>With Java 6 begin EOL-ed soon
>(https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for), what's
>the status of Cassandra's Java 7 support? Anyone using it in production?
>Any outstanding *known* issues?
>
>-- Drew

Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.
To learn how you can help in your community, please visit: http://on.fb.me/UAdL4f

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Rob Coli
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Drew Kutcharian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With Java 6 begin EOL-ed soon (https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for), what's the status of Cassandra's Java 7 support? Anyone using it in production? Any outstanding *known* issues?

I'd love to see an official statement from the project, due to the
sort of EOL issues you're referring to. Unfortunately previous
requests on this list for such a statement have gone unanswered.

The non-official response is that various people run in production
with Java 7 and it seems to work. :)

=Robert Coli
AIM&GTALK - [hidden email]
YAHOO - rcoli.palominob
SKYPE - rcoli_palominodb

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Sylvain Lebresne-3
What kind of official statement do you want? As far as I can be considered an official voice of the project, my statement is: "various people run in production with Java 7 and it seems to work".

Or to answer the initial question, the only issue related to Java 7 that I know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Rob Coli <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Drew Kutcharian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With Java 6 begin EOL-ed soon (https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/end_of_public_updates_for), what's the status of Cassandra's Java 7 support? Anyone using it in production? Any outstanding *known* issues?

I'd love to see an official statement from the project, due to the
sort of EOL issues you're referring to. Unfortunately previous
requests on this list for such a statement have gone unanswered.

The non-official response is that various people run in production
with Java 7 and it seems to work. :)

=Robert Coli
AIM&GTALK - [hidden email]
YAHOO - rcoli.palominob
SKYPE - rcoli_palominodb

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Aaron Turner
Does Datastax (or any other company) support Cassandra under Java 7?
Or will they tell you to downgrade when you have some problem, because
they don't support C* running on 7?

At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Drew Kutcharian
In addition, the DataStax official documentation states: "Versions earlier than 1.6.0_19 should not be used. Java 7 is not recommended."

http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_rpm

On Dec 14, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Aaron Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does Datastax (or any other company) support Cassandra under Java 7?
> Or will they tell you to downgrade when you have some problem, because
> they don't support C* running on 7?
>
> At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What kind of official statement do you want? As far as I can be considered
>> an official voice of the project, my statement is: "various people run in
>> production with Java 7 and it seems to work".
>>
>> Or to answer the initial question, the only issue related to Java 7 that I
>> know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using
>> osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway
>> so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you
>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>>> I'd love to see an official statement from the project, due to the
>>> sort of EOL issues you're referring to. Unfortunately previous
>>> requests on this list for such a statement have gone unanswered.
>>>
>>> The non-official response is that various people run in production
>>> with Java 7 and it seems to work. :)
>>>
>>> =Rob
>>>
>>> --
>>> =Robert Coli
>>> AIM&GTALK - [hidden email]
>>> YAHOO - rcoli.palominob
>>> SKYPE - rcoli_palominodb
>>

> --
> Aaron Turner
> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>    -- Benjamin Franklin
> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Peter Lin
for what it's worth, I'm running on java 7 with 1.1.x release without
any problems.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Drew Kutcharian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition, the DataStax official documentation states: "Versions earlier than 1.6.0_19 should not be used. Java 7 is not recommended."
>
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_rpm
>

> On Dec 14, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Aaron Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does Datastax (or any other company) support Cassandra under Java 7?
>> Or will they tell you to downgrade when you have some problem, because
>> they don't support C* running on 7?
>>
>> At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What kind of official statement do you want? As far as I can be considered
>>> an official voice of the project, my statement is: "various people run in
>>> production with Java 7 and it seems to work".
>>>
>>> Or to answer the initial question, the only issue related to Java 7 that I
>>> know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using
>>> osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway
>>> so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you
>>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>> --
>> Aaron Turner
>> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
>> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>    -- Benjamin Franklin
>> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Bill de hÓra
"At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".

Not quite, because, Datastax is not Apache Cassandra.

"the only issue related to Java 7 that I know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project."

Exactly right. If enough people use Cassandra on Java7 and enough people file bugs about Java 7 and enough people work on bugs for Java 7 then Cassandra will eventually work well enough on Java7.

Bill

On 14 Dec 2012, at 19:43, Drew Kutcharian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition, the DataStax official documentation states: "Versions earlier than 1.6.0_19 should not be used. Java 7 is not recommended."
>
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_rpm
>

> On Dec 14, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Aaron Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does Datastax (or any other company) support Cassandra under Java 7?
>> Or will they tell you to downgrade when you have some problem, because
>> they don't support C* running on 7?
>>
>> At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What kind of official statement do you want? As far as I can be considered
>>> an official voice of the project, my statement is: "various people run in
>>> production with Java 7 and it seems to work".
>>>
>>> Or to answer the initial question, the only issue related to Java 7 that I
>>> know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using
>>> osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway
>>> so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you
>>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>> --
>> Aaron Turner
>> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
>> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Brian Tarbox
We've reverted all machines back to Java 6 after running into numerous Java 7 issues...some running Cassandra, some running Zookeeper, others just general problems.  I don't recall any other major language release being such a mess.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Bill de hÓra <[hidden email]> wrote:
"At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".

Not quite, because, Datastax is not Apache Cassandra.

"the only issue related to Java 7 that I know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project."

Exactly right. If enough people use Cassandra on Java7 and enough people file bugs about Java 7 and enough people work on bugs for Java 7 then Cassandra will eventually work well enough on Java7.

Bill

On 14 Dec 2012, at 19:43, Drew Kutcharian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition, the DataStax official documentation states: "Versions earlier than 1.6.0_19 should not be used. Java 7 is not recommended."
>
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/install_rpm
>

> On Dec 14, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Aaron Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does Datastax (or any other company) support Cassandra under Java 7?
>> Or will they tell you to downgrade when you have some problem, because
>> they don't support C* running on 7?
>>
>> At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What kind of official statement do you want? As far as I can be considered
>>> an official voice of the project, my statement is: "various people run in
>>> production with Java 7 and it seems to work".
>>>
>>> Or to answer the initial question, the only issue related to Java 7 that I
>>> know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using
>>> osx in production anyway) and it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway
>>> so you can easily use the beta version of snappy-java as a workaround if you
>>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>> --
>> Aaron Turner
>> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
>> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Michael Kjellman
What "issues" have you ran into? Actually curious because we push 1.1.5-7 really hard and have no issues whatsoever.

----------------------------------
  ­­

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Michael Kjellman <[hidden email]> wrote:
What "issues" have you ran into? Actually curious because we push 1.1.5-7 really hard and have no issues whatsoever.

A related question is "which which version of java 7 did you try"? The first releases of java 7 were apparently famous for having many issues but it seems the more recent updates are much more stable.

--
Sylvain

  ­­

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Peter Lin
I'm using

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode)

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Michael Kjellman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> What "issues" have you ran into? Actually curious because we push 1.1.5-7
>> really hard and have no issues whatsoever.
>>

> A related question is "which which version of java 7 did you try"? The first
> releases of java 7 were apparently famous for having many issues but it
> seems the more recent updates are much more stable.
>
> --
> Sylvain
>

>> On Dec 15, 2012, at 7:51 AM, "Brian Tarbox" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> We've reverted all machines back to Java 6 after running into numerous
>> Java 7 issues...some running Cassandra, some running Zookeeper, others just
>> general problems.  I don't recall any other major language release being
>> such a mess.
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Bill de hÓra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> "At least that would be one way of defining "officially supported".
>>>
>>> Not quite, because, Datastax is not Apache Cassandra.
>>>
>>> "the only issue related to Java 7 that I know of is CASSANDRA-4958, but
>>> that's osx specific (I wouldn't advise using osx in production anyway) and
>>> it's not directly related to Cassandra anyway so you can easily use the beta
>>> version of snappy-java as a workaround if you want to. So that non blocking
>>> issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra supports Java 7. Is it
>>> rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in production can tell,
>>> and that's not really in the hand of the project."
>>>
>>> Exactly right. If enough people use Cassandra on Java7 and enough people
>>> file bugs about Java 7 and enough people work on bugs for Java 7 then
>>> Cassandra will eventually work well enough on Java7.
>>>
>>> Bill

>> ----------------------------------
>> Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.
>> To learn how you can help in your community, please visit:
>> http://on.fb.me/UAdL4f
>>   ­­

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Michael Kjellman
Brian- did you ever file any bugs with the issues you experienced?

On Dec 16, 2012, at 6:35 AM, "Peter Lin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using

> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.3-b01, mixed mode)
>

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Sylvain Lebresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Michael Kjellman <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What "issues" have you ran into? Actually curious because we push 1.1.5-7
>>> really hard and have no issues whatsoever.
>>>

>> A related question is "which which version of java 7 did you try"? The first
>> releases of java 7 were apparently famous for having many issues but it
>> seems the more recent updates are much more stable.
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain
>>

>>> On Dec 15, 2012, at 7:51 AM, "Brian Tarbox" <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> We've reverted all machines back to Java 6 after running into numerous
>>> Java 7 issues...some running Cassandra, some running Zookeeper, others just
>>> general problems.  I don't recall any other major language release being
>>> such a mess.

>>> ----------------------------------
>>> Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.
>>> To learn how you can help in your community, please visit:
>>> http://on.fb.me/UAdL4f
>>>  ­­

Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.
To learn how you can help in your community, please visit: http://on.fb.me/UAdL4f

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Brian Tarbox
I was using jre-7u9-linux-x64  which was the latest at the time.

I'll confess that I did not file any bugs...at the time the advice from both the Cassandra and Zookeeper lists was to stay away from Java 7 (and my boss had had enough of my reporting that "the problem was Java 7" for me to spend a lot more time getting the details).

Brian

> [...]

>>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>> --
>> Aaron Turner
>> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
>> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

----------------------------------
Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.

Bryan Talbot
Brian, did any of your issues with java 7 result in corrupting data in cassandra?

We just ran into an issue after upgrading a test cluster from Cassandra 1.1.5 and Oracle JDK 1.6.0_29-b11 to Cassandra 1.1.7 and 7u10.

What we saw is values in columns with validation Class=org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.LongType that were proper integers becoming corrupted so that they become stored as strings.  I don't have a reproducible test case yet but will work on making one over the holiday if I can.

For example, a column with a long type that was originally written and stored properly (say with value 1200) was somehow changed during cassandra operations (compaction seems the only possibility) to be the value '1200' with quotes.

The data was written using the phpcassa library and that application and library haven't been changed.  This has only happened on our test cluster which was upgraded and hasn't happened on our live cluster which was not upgraded.  Many of our column families were affected and all affected columns are Long (or bigint for cql3).

Errors when reading using CQL3 command client look like this:

Failed to decode value '1356441225' (for column 'expires') as bigint: unpack requires a string argument of length 8

and when reading with cassandra-cli the error is

[default@cf] get token['fbc1e9f7cc2c0c2fa186138ed28e5f691613409c0bcff648c651ab1f79f9600b'];
=> (column=client_id, value=8ec4c29de726ad4db3f89a44cb07909c04f90932d, timestamp=1355836425784329, ttl=648000)
A long is exactly 8 bytes: 10

-Bryan

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Brian Tarbox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>> --
>> Aaron Turner
>> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
>> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

----------------------------------
Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.

What I saw in all cases was
a) set JAVA_HOME to java7, run program fail
b) set JAVA_HOME to java6, run program success

I should have better notes but I'm at a 6 person startup so working tools gets used and failing tools get deleted.

Brian

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Bryan Talbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> want to. So that non blocking issue aside, and as far as we know, Cassandra
>>> supports Java 7. Is it rock-solid in production? Well, only repeated use in
>>> production can tell, and that's not really in the hand of the project. We do
>>> obviously encourage people to try Java 7 as much as possible and report any
>>> problem they may run into, but I would have though this goes without saying.

>> --
>> Aaron Turner
>> http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic
>> http://tcpreplay.synfin.net/ - Pcap editing and replay tools for Unix & Windows
>> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
>> Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>>   -- Benjamin Franklin
>> "carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

----------------------------------
Join Barracuda Networks in the fight against hunger.

Fabrice Facorat
At Orange portails we are presently testing Cassandra 1.2.0 beta/rc
with Java 7, and presnetly we have no issues

Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net

Re: State of Cassandra and Java 7

Edward Capriolo
This what versions are supported is kinda up to you for example earlier versions of jdk now have bugs. I have a version of java 1.6.0_23 I believe that will not even start with the latest cassandra releases. Likewise people suggest not running the newest ones 1.7.0 because they have not tested it.

So there is not a definitive version that is the best. If you having problems and your version is older someone will say upgrade, if your newest version is not working someone will say downgrade. No one trusts a just released version. Generally this means try to keep a few months behind the curb.

As with most things in c* you can run different versions on different nodes, you are not forced into an all at once upgrade.

--
Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net