Unable to connect via cqlsh or datastax-driver

Unable to connect via cqlsh or datastax-driver

Björn Hachmann
Hello,

I am unable to connect to the nodes of our second datacenter, not even from localhost.

The error message I receive is:
Connection error: ('Unable to connect to any servers', {'...': OperationTimedOut('errors=None, last_host=None',)})

I already checked some things:
  • The node starts to listen for cql clients on the expected port (extract from the log):
    Starting listening for CQL clients on .../192.168.1.23:9042
  • The port is open and accepts connections via telnet.
  • nodetool info works and returns:
    Gossip active          : true
    Thrift active          : true
    Native Transport active: true
  • nodetool netstats:
    Mode: NORMAL
  • nodetool statusbinary
    running
Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Björn

Björn

Re: Unable to connect via cqlsh or datastax-driver

Björn Hachmann
Hi,

as it turned out, the problem was that our secondary DC was indeed overloaded and therefore dropped read requests which where executed during connection establishment.

The cause of this overload might be interesting: Actually we ran reversed values for dclocal_read_repair_chance and read_repair_chance. dc_local_read_repair_chance had to be 0.1 and read_repair_chance 0.0, but it was otherwise round. Obviously this was no problem until we setup the second DC.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards
Björn Hachmann

--

Björn Hachmann
metrigo GmbH

Lagerstraße 36
20357 Hamburg
p: +49 40 2093108-88
Geschäftsführer: Tobias Schlottke, Philipp Erler

Die Gesellschaft ist eingetragen beim Registergericht Hamburg
Nr. HRB 120447.