hadoop + cassandra

mobiledreamers
I m trying to understand how cassandra and hadoop fit together

i thought cassandra was useful as a standalone product

i cannot figure a situation where cassandra needs hadoop for functionality

isnt hadoop just a gfs clone, since cassandra can be configured for redundant storage and availability why do we need  hadoop?

thanks

2009/7/24 李楠 <qingnan.li@gmail.com>
what time cassandra has a official releases and more detail user development tutorial document just like hadoop project?
i am interesting in cassandra with distributed, structured key-value store,brings Amazon's Dynamo and BigTable and in production use at Facebook.

2009/7/24 Jonathan Ellis <[hidden email]>

because nodeprobe is in 0.4, not 0.3

Bidegg worlds best auction site
http://bidegg.com

Re: hadoop + cassandra

Michael Greene
Cassandra does not need Hadoop for functionality and is a "standalone" project.

Hadoop is many things.  One of those is HDFS, which as you describe is
a GFS clone.  Hadoop also includes a MapReduce implementation, job
tracking, and various other services that a distributed system using
it would need.

Some people are trying to allow the MapReduce and job components from
Hadoop to operate on data from Cassandra.  Nobody that I know of is
working on any project that would make Hadoop a dependency of
Cassandra or that would have Cassandra use HDFS for storage (this
would destroy most of Cassandra's advantages for data storage).

Michael