how do we updgrade cassandra

mobiledreamers
I did a git pull in the cassandra dir and ran ant hoping things would run but cassandra does nt run

DEBUG - insert
ERROR - Internal error processing insert
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.ThriftValidation.validateColumnPath(ThriftValidation.java:61)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraServer.insert(CassandraServer.java:262)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor$insert.process(Cassandra.java:927)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor.process(Cassandra.java:796)
        at org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:252)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

is there a specific way to upgrade cassandra ie dump the db and restore?

thanks

Re: how do we updgrade cassandra

Michael Greene
If you run 'ant clean' before running ant or Cassandra, it will ensure
that no old artifacts are still around from the code that could be
causing problems.

To dump the db, just delete the db directories.  There should be
tooling for this in the future, but that's the most surefire way to
know that you are starting fresh for now.

Michael

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a git pull in the cassandra dir and ran ant hoping things would run
> but cassandra does nt run
>
> DEBUG - insert
> ERROR - Internal error processing insert
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.ThriftValidation.validateColumnPath(ThriftValidation.java:61)
>         at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraServer.insert(CassandraServer.java:262)
>         at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor$insert.process(Cassandra.java:927)
>         at
> org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor.process(Cassandra.java:796)
>         at
> org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:252)
>         at
>         at
>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
>
> is there a specific way to upgrade cassandra ie dump the db and restore?
>
> thanks

Re: how do we updgrade cassandra

Josh-9
> To dump the db, just delete the db directories.

Is there a mysqldump style dump/backup command?

 There should be

> tooling for this in the future, but that's the most surefire way to
> know that you are starting fresh for now.
>
> Michael
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did a git pull in the cassandra dir and ran ant hoping things would run
>> but cassandra does nt run
>>
>> DEBUG - insert
>> ERROR - Internal error processing insert
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>         at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.ThriftValidation.validateColumnPath(ThriftValidation.java:61)
>>         at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraServer.insert(CassandraServer.java:262)
>>         at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor$insert.process(Cassandra.java:927)
>>         at
>> org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Processor.process(Cassandra.java:796)
>>         at
>> org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:252)
>>         at
>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
>>         at
>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
>>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
>>
>> is there a specific way to upgrade cassandra ie dump the db and restore?
>>
>> thanks

Re: how do we updgrade cassandra

Michael Greene
There's 'snapshot' functionality coming in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-279
  slated for 0.4, but to my knowledge no toolIng in the works for
later using that data.  It should be as simple as tar'ing and
restoring somewhere else after that.

Michael