minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant sites of Cassandra database

minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant sites of Cassandra database

Gaurav Bhatnagar-2
Hi,
     Is there any minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant data centres?
What is the minimum latency that link between two Geo Redundant data centres should have to get best efficient operations?

Regards,
Gaurav

Re: minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant sites of Cassandra database

Carlos Rolo
Hi,

I would not recommend anything below 1Gbps for the bandwidth. Latency try to have it as low as you can.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo
Cassandra Consultant

Pythian - Love your data

rolo@pythian | Twitter: cjrolo | Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/carlosjuzarterolo
Mobile: +31 6 159 61 814 | Tel: +1 613 565 8696 x1649

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:28 AM, Gaurav Bhatnagar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
     Is there any minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant data centres?
What is the minimum latency that link between two Geo Redundant data centres should have to get best efficient operations?

Regards,
Gaurav

RE: minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant sites of Cassandra database

Daniels, Kelly

We will be anxious to confirm results in production but we have been seeing 30 ms or less as best; at 45 ms we start having more than tolerable errors, at 50 ms we start to disregard the usability.  We are also looking into features from Oracle DATA Guard such as ‘Apply Lag’ and ‘Transport Lag’ to see if we can manage internally when the transport distance is beyond reality.

Re: minimum bandwidth requirement between two Geo Redundant sites of Cassandra database

Alex Major
We run between US/EU regions on AWS with more than 45ms latency without any issues. Just use an appropriate amount of replicas in each datacenter and make use of the appropriate consistency level (e.g local_quoram)

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Daniels, Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

We will be anxious to confirm results in production but we have been seeing 30 ms or less as best; at 45 ms we start having more than tolerable errors, at 50 ms we start to disregard the usability.  We are also looking into features from Oracle DATA Guard such as ‘Apply Lag’ and ‘Transport Lag’ to see if we can manage internally when the transport distance is beyond reality.

I would not recommend anything below 1Gbps for the bandwidth. Latency try to have it as low as you can.

Regards,

Carlos Juzarte Rolo

Cassandra Consultant

Pythian - Love your data

rolo@pythian | Twitter: cjrolo | Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/carlosjuzarterolo

Mobile: +31 6 159 61 814 | Tel: <a href="tel:%2B1%20613%20565%208696%20x1649" value="+16135658696" target="_blank">+1 613 565 8696 x1649