stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec

stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec

Donald Smith

stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec  is the timeout per operation on the streaming socket.   The docs recommend not to have it too low (because a timeout causes streaming to restart from the beginning). But the default 0 never times out.  What's a reasonable value?

Does it stream an entire SSTable in one operation? I doubt it.
  How large is the object it streams in one operation?  I'm tempted to put the timeout at 30 seconds or 1 minute. Is that too low?

Some of our rebuilds hang for many hours and we figure we need a timeout.

Thanks, Don

Re: stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec

Marcus Eriksson

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:54 AM, Donald Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec  is the timeout per operation on the streaming socket.   The docs recommend not to have it too low (because a timeout causes streaming to restart from the beginning). But the default 0 never times out.  What's a reasonable value?

no, it is not a timeout, it states how fast sstables are streamed

Does it stream an entire SSTable in one operation? I doubt it.
  How large is the object it streams in one operation?  I'm tempted to put the timeout at 30 seconds or 1 minute. Is that too low?

unsure what you meat by 'operation' here, but it is one tcp connection, streaming the whole file (if thats what we want)

/Marcus

RE: stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec

Donald Smith

Sorry, I copy-and-pasted the wrong variable name.  I meant to copy and paste streaming_socket_timeout_in_ms. So my question should be:

streaming_socket_timeout_in_ms is the timeout per operation on the streaming socket.   The docs recommend not to set  it too low (because a timeout causes streaming to restart from the beginning). But the default 0 never times out.  What's a reasonable value?

# Enable socket timeout for streaming operation.

# When a timeout occurs during streaming, streaming is retried from the start

# of the current file. This _can_ involve re-streaming an important amount of

# data, so you should avoid setting the value too low.

# Default value is 0, which never timeout streams.

# streaming_socket_timeout_in_ms: 0

My second question is: Does it stream an entire SSTable in one operation? I doubt it.  How large is the object it streams in one operation?  I'm tempted to put the timeout at 30 seconds or 1 minute. Is that too low?.

The entire file (SSTable) is large – several hundred megabytes.  Is the timeout for streaming the entire file?  Or only a block of it?

Don

/Marcus

Re: stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec

arodrime
Hi guys, this (old) thread has no answers.

@Donald, did you find out answer to your second question ? (first one depends on the second imho)

@all, Any pointer or extra info would be great.

Alain