upgrade from 1.0.12 to 1.1.12

Jason Wee
Hello,

Reading this documentation http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/upgrading

If you are upgrading to Cassandra 1.1.9 from a version earlier than
1.1.7, all nodes must be upgraded before any streaming can take place.
Until you upgrade all nodes, you cannot add version 1.1.7 nodes or
later to a 1.1.7 or earlier cluster.

Does this apply for upgrade to cassandra 1.1.12 ?

What is cassandra streaming ? Is repair (nodetool or background),
hinted handoff, antientropy consider streaming? if yes, how do we
prevent streaming after a node is upgraded to 1.1.12 in a 1.0.12
cluster environment?

Thanks.

Jason

Jason

Re: upgrade from 1.0.12 to 1.1.12

Jason Wee
hmm... okay.

one more question
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-1.1.12/NEWS.txt  I
upgraded directly to 1.1.12 , do I need to run nodetool
upgradesstables as stipulated in version 1.1.3 ?

jason

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Jonathan Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Streaming is repair, adding & removing nodes.  In general it's a bad idea to
> do any streaming op when you've got an upgrade in progress.
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 3:14 AM Jason Wee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Reading this documentation
>> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/upgrading
>>
>> If you are upgrading to Cassandra 1.1.9 from a version earlier than
>> 1.1.7, all nodes must be upgraded before any streaming can take place.
>> Until you upgrade all nodes, you cannot add version 1.1.7 nodes or
>> later to a 1.1.7 or earlier cluster.
>>
>> Does this apply for upgrade to cassandra 1.1.12 ?
>>
>> What is cassandra streaming ? Is repair (nodetool or background),
>> hinted handoff, antientropy consider streaming? if yes, how do we
>> prevent streaming after a node is upgraded to 1.1.12 in a 1.0.12
>> cluster environment?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jason

RE: upgrade from 1.0.12 to 1.1.12

SEAN_R_DURITY
Yes, run upgradesstables on all nodes - unless you already force major compactions on all tables. I run them on a few nodes at a time to minimize impact to performance. The upgrade is not complete until upgradesstables completes on all nodes. Then you are safe to resume any streaming operations (repairs and bootstraps).

Sean Durity – Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team
To engage the team, create a request

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Jonathan Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Streaming is repair, adding & removing nodes.  In general it's a bad
> idea to do any streaming op when you've got an upgrade in progress.
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 3:14 AM Jason Wee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Reading this documentation
>> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/install/upgrading
>>
>> If you are upgrading to Cassandra 1.1.9 from a version earlier than
>> 1.1.7, all nodes must be upgraded before any streaming can take place.
>> Until you upgrade all nodes, you cannot add version 1.1.7 nodes or
>> later to a 1.1.7 or earlier cluster.
>>
>> Does this apply for upgrade to cassandra 1.1.12 ?
>>
>> What is cassandra streaming ? Is repair (nodetool or background),
>> hinted handoff, antientropy consider streaming? if yes, how do we
>> prevent streaming after a node is upgraded to 1.1.12 in a 1.0.12
>> cluster environment?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jason

________________________________

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses, e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail message or its attachment.

Re: upgrade from 1.0.12 to 1.1.12

Jason Wee
Sean, thanks and I will keep that in mind for this upgrade. Jason

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:23 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, run upgradesstables on all nodes - unless you already force major compactions on all tables. I run them on a few nodes at a time to minimize impact to performance. The upgrade is not complete until upgradesstables completes on all nodes. Then you are safe to resume any streaming operations (repairs and bootstraps).
>

> Sean Durity – Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team
> To engage the team, create a request

There's no downside to running upgradesstables. I recommend always doing it on upgrade just to be safe.
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM Jason Wee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean, thanks and I will keep that in mind for this upgrade. Jason

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:23 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, run upgradesstables on all nodes - unless you already force major compactions on all tables. I run them on a few nodes at a time to minimize impact to performance. The upgrade is not complete until upgradesstables completes on all nodes. Then you are safe to resume any streaming operations (repairs and bootstraps).
>

> Sean Durity – Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team
> To engage the team, create a request

Robert Coli-3
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Jonathan Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
There's no downside to running upgradesstables. I recommend always doing it on upgrade just to be safe.

For the record and just my opinion : I recommend against paying this fixed cost when you don't need to.

It is basically trivial to ascertain whether there is a new version of the SSTable format in your new version, without even relying on the canonical NEWS.txt. Type "nodetool flush" and look at the filename of the table that was just flushed. If the version component is different from all the other SSTables, you definitely need to run upgradesstables. If it isn't, you definitely don't.

If you're going to run something which unnecessarily rewrites all SSTables, why not scrub? That'll check the files for corruption while also upgrading them as they are written out 1:1...

Re: upgrade from 1.0.12 to 1.1.12

Jason Wee
Rob, the cluster now upgraded to cassandra 1.0.12 (default hd version,
in Descriptor.java) and I ensure all sstables in current cluster are
hd version before upgrade to cassandra 1.1. I have also checked in
cassandra 1.1.12 , the sstable is version hf version. so i guess,
nodetool upgradesstables is needed?

Why not scrub? when you run command nodetool upgradesstables , it is
actually scrubing the data? Can you explain ?

Jason

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM, Jonathan Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Running upgrade is a noop if the tables don't need to be upgraded. I consider the cost of this to be less than the cost of missing an upgrade.

Oh, right! This optimization was added, which means I totally and completely agree with you.

tl;dr - run upgradesstables after every version upgrade, it can't hurt and can only help.

Re: upgrade from 1.0.12 to 1.1.12

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Jason Wee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob, the cluster now upgraded to cassandra 1.0.12 (default hd version,
in Descriptor.java) and I ensure all sstables in current cluster are
hd version before upgrade to cassandra 1.1. I have also checked in
cassandra 1.1.12 , the sstable is version hf version. so i guess,
nodetool upgradesstables is needed?

Yes, upgradesstables is needed.

As mentioned down-thread, upgradesstables is now optimized to be a NOOP when the sstables are already of the current version, so you should always run upgradesstables, even after a minor version upgrade.

=Rob