usage

Todd English
Hello all,

We were just at Facebook talking to some of its developers and asked
them about Cassandra. The people in the room had no idea what we were
talking about. One of them mentioned that they open sourced the Facebook
"data store" three years ago but it was awful and no longer used
internally. I'm wondering if we were talking to the wrong developers, if
the "data store" was some other project or was/is it Cassandra.

I see that Facebook is listed in the "Powered by" section but am unsure
what to make of our meeting.

Thank you for any insight you can provide,
Todd English

Re: usage

Joe Van Dyk-3
I imagine you weren't talking to the right developers.  :D  Cassandra
was open sourced last year.

Joe

Joe Van Dyk
http://fixieconsulting.com

Re: usage

Michael Greene
You must have been talking to the wrong developers.

Facebook open-sourced Cassandra in early 2008.  In August 2008 they
wrote about this publically, at
http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=24413138919 where they
state:
"First deployment of Cassandra system within Facebook was for the
Inbox search system. The system currently stores TB’s of indexes
across a cluster of 600+ cores and 120+ TB of disk space. Performance
of the system has been well within our SLA requirements and more
applications are in the pipeline to use the Cassandra system as their
storage engine."

Although they are no longer actively involved in the open source
project, the original developers from Facebook are still actively
developing Cassandra and on rare occasions give input to the open
source project.

Michael

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Todd English <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We were just at Facebook talking to some of its developers and asked
> them about Cassandra. The people in the room had no idea what we were
> talking about. One of them mentioned that they open sourced the Facebook
> "data store" three years ago but it was awful and no longer used
> internally. I'm wondering if we were talking to the wrong developers, if
> the "data store" was some other project or was/is it Cassandra.
>
> I see that Facebook is listed in the "Powered by" section but am unsure
> what to make of our meeting.
>
> Thank you for any insight you can provide,
> Todd English

Re: usage

Kirill A. Korinskiy-3
At Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:04:04 -0500,
Michael Greene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You must have been talking to the wrong developers.
>
> Facebook open-sourced Cassandra in early 2008.  In August 2008 they
> wrote about this publically, at
> http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=24413138919 where they
> state:
> "First deployment of Cassandra system within Facebook was for the
> Inbox search system. The system currently stores TB’s of indexes
> across a cluster of 600+ cores and 120+ TB of disk space. Performance
> of the system has been well within our SLA requirements and more
> applications are in the pipeline to use the Cassandra system as their
> storage engine."
>
> Although they are no longer actively involved in the open source
> project, the original developers from Facebook are still actively
> developing Cassandra and on rare occasions give input to the open
> source project.
>
> Michael

But how in cassandra now make a sharding by nodes?

For example: I have a six nodes and I need make a 2 copy of data and
sharding data by all cluster. For example all nodes of my cluster stay
on one dc.

How do it?

wbr, Kirill

Re: usage

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Michael Greene
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You must have been talking to the wrong developers.
>
> Facebook open-sourced Cassandra in early 2008.  In August 2008 they
> wrote about this publically, at
> http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=24413138919 where they
> state:
> "First deployment of Cassandra system within Facebook was for the
> Inbox search system. The system currently stores TB’s of indexes
> across a cluster of 600+ cores and 120+ TB of disk space. Performance
> of the system has been well within our SLA requirements and more
> applications are in the pipeline to use the Cassandra system as their
> storage engine."

There's more from Facebook at
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArticlesAndPresentations. The NoSQL
video is the most recent.